The Top 10 Most Common Roof Problems
1. Leaks & Moisture-the most common problem can often be avoided by regular maintenance and care of your roof
2. Blow offs & Tenting-often associated with poor installation and/or inadequate installation RESEARCH your roofer!
3. Poor installation and/or workmanship-be sure to research and know your installer, ask for references and choose based on quality NOT price!
4. Lack of maintenance-a roof like any other part of your building needs to be properly maintained. A yearly inspection can prevent leaks from third party damage (including mother storm damage), ice damming from clogged gutters, and deterioration of the roof.
5. Ponding water-depending on the type of flat roof you have, determines whether ponding water is an issue. Many types of single ply membranes deteriorate under water, Duro-Last PVC is warranted for ponding water and it does NOT cause deterioration.
6. Safety-a deteriorated roof or leaking roof is a safety concern to everyone inside the building!
7. Inadequate repairs-if your roof is under warranty, be sure to get warranted repairs. By letting the in house maintenance “fix” the problem, is not always the most cost effective way. It can lead to further damage down the road.
8. Shrinkage-rubber roofs are prone to shrinkage over time. This causes the seams to delaminate and pull apart, in turn causing leak points. This is something that can be found and patched during regular inspections before the leak happens.
9. Blistering-also known as alligartoring, this is when the roofing membrane bubbles and resembles the skin of an alligator. It is caused by deterioration and is a sign that the roof needs replaced.
10. Punctures-any opening put in the roof membrane is a potential leak point. A regular inspection can prevent serious damage from punctures.